Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Relationship Story: Passion - Really Living


Sitting in a darkened arena, waiting for the unexpected - I just knew there must be something special about this guy.  Why had so many found this to be something they would not miss - time after time after time.  I'd been to a lot of concerts since the 1970's, but finally in 2012...it was time to see The Boss. This past April 27th, my close pal Roger Kraemer (President of ProActive Direct Marketing and a founding member of the DifferenceMakersOC organizing committee) treated me to the Bruce Springsteen concert at the classic old L.A. Sports Arena. 

I really had no idea what I was in for; I was also surprised to find that "it" actually had little to do with the songs, the lyrics, or even the message.  I simply could not believe the passion that was delivered.  The experience during the first 15 minutes was truly unbelievable.  The intensity of the effort by Bruce and the band...the pure emotion of non-stop power songs woven together brilliantly...the realization that this was all being delivered as a gift from the heart just for me (and the 15,000 other "mes" in the hall)...it actually brought tears to my eyes. I simply had no way to anticipate how much all of them were giving to all of us.

When we truly love doing something for others, they know it.  When we go through the motions, nobody is fooled.  Experiencing that show made me realize that I want to live that way all the time.  I want everything I do to approach, even a little bit, the amount of caring, concern and commitment that I felt in watching that show.

After the show, Roger said "that was the best concert I've ever seen".  I realized at that moment that I hadn't even thought to compare it to other such events. This was much more than just a concert; this was the Vin Scully of concerts.  It simply cannot be compared.

There are a lot of other examples of this kind of passion within great people in my life - the insatiably curious, those that are driven to achieve and discover new things, and the folks who care enough to truly make a difference.  You know a lot of these folks also, don't you?  These people inspire me just like Bruce did.  It is very clear that I am drawn like a magnet to people like this - as much as anything in my life, these individuals fuel my own passions.

How many of us encounter people that lack passion, that have too little soul, that don't really know what matters to them?  I know that, at least for me, this would be no way to live.  Here's to all of us finding what inspires us, living passionately, and committing our hearts and souls to what matters more to us than anything.
Thanks for sharing time with me; as always, I welcome your feedback.  Please feel free to pass this message along to others who may find value. 

References:    ProActive Direct Marketing  www.proactivedirect.com
Backstreets.com (April 27th show set list included) - Bruce Springsteen Fan Site http://www.backstreets.com/setlists2012a.html

Sincerely,

Jeff Black
Partner, McDermott & Bull Executive Search
Cell: (714) 356-1949   Office: (949) 529-2672
2 Venture, Suite 100    Irvine, CA 92618

No comments: